Worst Skin Advice you need to avoid
by Marshaneil Soumi D’ Rozario|21st November, 2019
Image used for representational purpose only
From the moment that you get your first pimple you will start hearing many skin care suggestions or remedies to give you the perfect skin from your best friend, a concerned teacher, parents and grandparents. They will all suggest you the miracle cure for all your skin problems but that is not always true. Over the ages, dermatologists have heard many skin advices that can actually do more harm than good. Dr. Saumya Shetty Hegde, dermatologist at Roots Skin Clinics discusses some of the worst skin advices.
Debunking the age old skincare advices:
- For most of us, pimples are the first skin problems that we ever have in our life. The temptation to pop the zit is strong and so it the advice that you will get. However just old on and don’t pop the zit ever (whether it is in your teens or when you are an adult). When you pop a pimple, you risk a chance of scars, more inflammation and longer healing time.
- The higher the SPF the more protected you are : Applying sunscreen with high SPF is good advice but what they forget to tell you that you need to reapply the sunscreen every two or three hours even when you are indoors and/or the sun is not out. Buy a sunscreen with UVA protection along with UAB.
- Drinking loads of water and eating right are the only skin care things that you need:
- A good skin care regime is a combination of good diet, exercise and good skin care creams. Drinking enough water does not mean that you need not moisturize. Also the kind of moisturizers that you need will depend on the skin type. Moisturizer prevents your skin pores from clogging and protects the skin from external elements.
- Natural is always better: Not true. Not all natural ingredients are good for you. Be careful in choosing what you apply on your skin.
- Wearing makeup every day is bad for your skin: There's actually nothing wrong with wearing a full face of makeup daily, as long as you're diligent about taking care of your skin in the process.
- You'll eventually outgrow acne: Acne has nothing to do with age, and everything to do with hormones, stress levels, diet, and your pre-existing skin type.
- The more you scrub and wash your face, the clearer your skin will be: Washing your face is not enough. In fact, if you scrub too hard or too often, you could be making your breakouts worse. Instead of doing a deep cleanse on the daily basis. Using a gentle cleanser to clean your face is ideal. If your skin is sensitive or prone to breakouts, choosing an enzyme-based product is better
The skin advice that works for one person does not mean that it will work for you too. Consult a dermatologist for the right advice for your skin type.
Book Appointment: Dr. Saumya Shetty Hegde, dermatologist at Roots Skin Clinics
Disclaimer: Welthi.com does not guarantee any specific results as a result of the procedures mentioned here, and the results may vary from person to person. Read more