by MarshaneilSoumi D’ Rozario | 10th July, 2019
Sports are physical activities, and when things get physical, there is a possibility of one suffering from an injury. Overuse and acute sprain and strain injuries are the most common ones. An overuse injury may occur from excessive wear and tear of the body, especially in areas subject to repeated activity. A strain injury is where fibers in a muscle or tendon tear as a result of overstretching. A sprain injury involves the overstretching and tearing of ligaments. Thus, the main of these injuries can be kept at bay by suitable conditioning, sufficient warm up, wearing appropriate footwear and using correct techniques. Dr. Anup Khatri, Consultant- Orthopedics, Global Hospital, Mumbai shares details about the injuries suffered by the seasoned players.
1. Ankle injuries: An ankle injury occurs when the ankle joint is twisted too far out of its normal position. Moreover, an unnatural position of the ankle in high-heeled shoes or walking in unstable footwear; tripping or falling, landing awkwardly after a jump, walking or running on uneven surfaces, twisting and rotating the ankle can also lead to ankle injuries. One may exhibit symptoms like swelling, tenderness, bruising, pain and stiffness, if he/she is down with an ankle injury.
In case, you experience ankle injuries, you should opt for RICE treatment (Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation).
• Rest: It's vital to rest your ankle to avoid further damage and keep weight off it.
• Ice: It will reduce the swelling and ease the pain.
• Compression: Wrapping the injured ankle with an elastic bandage will help keep it supported and mobile. But, remember that you should avoid wrapping your ankle too tightly.
• Elevate: Here, elevating the injured ankle to at least the level of your heart will help you get rid of the pain and swelling.
Prevention: You must avoid exercising or playing sports when you are in pain, increase your bone mineral density by opting for a well-balanced diet, keep your weight in check, wear the right kind of shoes, stay physically active, and warm up and stretch before playing a sport.
2. Fracture: Can be described as a break in one or more of the bones. Pain, swelling, bruising, immobility, discolored skin in the affected area, are some of the symptoms one may notice. It can be tackled surgically or nonsurgically. If the ankle is unstable, the fracture will be treated surgically.
Prevention:If your balance is poor, balance training and physical therapy is the need of the hour.Don’t run on uneven surfaces, and wear the correct footwear. Keep weight off the ankle so the bones can heal in the proper alignment.
3. A sprain: Is damage to ligaments when they are stretched beyond their normal range of motion. Swelling, tenderness, bruising, pain and stiffness are some of the symptoms one may experience. The treatment of it will vary from person to person. Severe sprain involves a complete tear or rupture of a ligament and will require a lot of time to heal.One maybe asked to undergo surgery for reconstructing the torn ligaments.
Prevention: Stretch before and after physical activity, anddo special exercises to improve your balance recommended by the doctor.
4. A strain: Can be defined as damage to muscles and tendons as a result of being pulled or stretched too far. Muscle and tendon strains are more commonly seen in the legs and lower back. To tackle it, you can opt for the RICE approach along with simple stretches. Do not self-medicate as it can be risky. Take medications only after consulting your Doctor.
Prevention: One must opt for muscle training, stretching and stability training under expert guidance to keep the muscles strong and flexible.
5. Turf toe -Injury of the ligaments around the big toe. Football players who play on artificial turf are mostly affected by it. Even dancers, gymnasts, and basketball players are at risk due to repeated flexing of the big toe on hard surfaces. It may lead to stretching or tearing of the ligaments.
Prevention: For a major sprain or minor fractures, the doctor may prescribe some brace or athletes tape or special shoes to provide support, and enhance healing.
Book Appointement: Dr. Anup Khatri, Consultant- Orthopedics, Global Hospital, Mumbai
High Risk Pregnancy Successfully Managed With ...
Capital to host 6th Edition of India CSR Summit ...
Global Hospital performs a successful liver ...
2019 International Childrens Peace Prize ...
Dr Bakhtiar Choudary felicitated with ...
Indias First Of Its Kind Book Launched ...
World Stroke Day 29th Oct 2018
Hyderabad Doctors successfully perform Asia's ...
SuVitas Launches Bangalore’s First Dedicated ...
Itermittent Fasting: The How s and Why's
Eyes show you the world
Healthcare receives major limelight in General ...