by MarshaneilSoumi D’ Rozario | 25th May, 2019
Diabetes and Hypertension or High Blood Pressure go hand in hand. Many people with Diabetes also have Hypertension. Having these conditions together can make them both worse. Many a time people having high blood pressure usually have no signs or symptoms, and many people are not aware they have it. At least 1 in 3 patients with Diabetes also have Hypertension. When Hypertension and Diabetes co-exist, the effects of one disease tend to make the other worse. Hypertension and Diabetes generally coexist because they share similar risk factors, including being overweight, following an unhealthy diet, and living a sedentary lifestyle. About 25% of people with Type 1 Diabetes and 80% of people with Type 2 Diabetes have High Blood Pressure.
Dr. Pradeep Gadge, a leading Diabetologist, Gadge Diabetes Centre talks about Diabetes and Hypertension. Having Diabetes raises your risk of heart disease, stroke, kidney disease, and other health problems. Having High Blood Pressure also raises this risk. If you have Diabetes and High Blood Pressure together, this raises your risk of health problems even more.
The Non-communicable Diseases Risk Factor Collaboration (NCD-RisC) estimates suggest that between 1980 and 2014, Age-standardized Diabetes and Hypertension prevalence among men in India grew from 3.7% to 9.1% and 24.5% to 26.6%, respectively, and among women from 4.6% to 8.3% and 22.7% to 24.7%, respectively. The prevalence of both conditions is likely to continue increasing in the future, given that India’s population is aging and urbanizing rapidly and standards of living in the country are improving, which tends to be accompanied by an increase in obesity and its associated Cardiovascular Disease (CVD) risk factors, including Diabetes and Hypertension.
The rates of High Blood Pressure and Diabetes were particularly high amongst middle-aged and elderly people. According to the report, Diabetes prevalence in India was about 6.1 percent among women and 6.5 percent among men; on the other hand, for hypertension it was 20 percent among women and 24.5 percent among men. The researchers also report a considerably higher prevalence of Hypertension among young adults, as high as 12.1 percent among those aged 18-25 years.
The prevalence of High Blood Pressure in people with Diabetes depends on type and duration of diabetes, age, sex, BMI, history of glycemic control, and presence of kidney disease, among other factors. Most patients with Diabetes and Hypertension should be treated to a systolic blood pressure goal of <140 mmHg and a diastolic blood pressure goal of <90 mmHg.
• For patients with systolic blood pressure >120 mmHg or diastolic blood pressure >80 mmHg, lifestyle intervention consists of weight loss if overweight or obese.
• Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH)-style dietary pattern including reduced sodium and increased potassium intake; increased fruit and vegetable consumption; moderation of alcohol intake; and increased physical activity.
• Blood pressure should be measured at every routine follow up visit with the doctor.
• All hypertensive patients with Diabetes should also have home blood pressure monitored to identify White-coat Hypertension.
• Lifestyle factors are the best way to lower the risk of High Blood Pressure and to maintain normal blood sugar levels.
• People can control Hypertension with healthy lifestyle habits. These can include exercise and a low-fat, low-sodium diet. If necessary, a person with Hypertension may reduce their blood pressure using medication.
Stay away from common monsoon diseases
1000 PARTICIPANTS ATTENDED WALK FOR ROAD SAFETY
Traffic Awareness To Avoid Accidents (TATAA) ...
Hair Transplant is One of the safest cosmetic ...
Bariatric Endoscopy is most suited weight loss ...
Bariatric Endoscopy the best solution for young ...
World Stroke Day 29th Oct 2018
Hyderabad Doctors successfully perform Asia's ...
SuVitas Launches Bangalore’s First Dedicated ...
Itermittent Fasting: The How s and Why's
Our responsibility to our emotions
Eyes show you the world