by Marshaneil Soumi D’ Rozario|12th November, 2019
Winter is associated with a cold and dry climate; so you should make a major change in your skin care regime. Cold weather, harsh winds, and dry indoor air can really dry out your skin and take a toll on its texture. Dr. Mohan Thomas Senior Cosmetic Surgeon, Cosmetic Surgery Institute shares quick winter skincare tips.
The following tips can help your skin to face the harsh adversities of the cold and dry weather.
1. Use a hydrating cleanser or facewash: A hydrating cleanser or facewash with neutral pH is a cream-based product that does not rip the skin off the essential oils and thus does not disrupt the protective barrier of skin and eventually helps in retaining moisture. It usually has hyaluronic acid along with ceramides which not only retains the moisture but also attracts and binds with the moisture so that the skin feels soft and is non comedogenic.
2. Avoid hot showers: As tempting as it seems to go for hot showers during winters, but they should be avoided. Instead, lukewarm water should be used. This is important so that the essential oils secreted by our body and hair are not washed off completely. Use a shower cream while taking a shower.
3. Change your toner: Toners are especially important during winters as they help in closing the skin pores so that no moisture escapes. Some of the toners are humectants and bind with water hence it is important that a non-alcohol-based toner is used as the products which are alcohol based make the skin dry.
4. Do not exfoliate your skin a lot: In addition to a heavier moisturizer, your skin may also be asking for more exfoliation. Light acids are a gentle way to exfoliate. It's easy to go overboard on scrubs, but if it's your only option, use a very light pressure in circular motions to loosen the top layer of skin before adding your serums and moisturizer. Exfoliation should be limited to once a week only as the skin becomes sensitive during winters.
5. Moisturise your skin well: Cream based moisturisers or emollients should be used generously at least twice a day. Moisturise the face with ceramide-based face creams. Do not forget about using hand creams and foot creams as well. Keep your hands and feet covered especially when going out. Indulge in at least once a week warm oil body massage as well.
6. Do not miss out on your sunscreen: The sun is as harsh during winters as it is in summers. So, make sure that you apply sunscreen at least 30 minutes prior moving out and re-apply every 3-4 hours if out. If your skin is non comedogenic then use a heavy cream-based sunscreen which stays on the skin longer and retains the moisture.
7. Use an antioxidant serum: Whether it is summer or winter, the UV rays of the sun produce free radicals which can cause aging changes. Vitamin C lotions help to reduce inflammation and accumulation of free radicals and thus can be used.
8. Take care of your lips: Use a lip balm generously to avoid chapping of lips. Always carry a lip balm in your bag. Repeated use of a lip balm or plain Vaseline will retain the moisture in the lips and prevent it from flaking.
9. Take care of your scalp: Your scalp tends to get dry, irritable and flaky during winters. To avoid a dry and itchy scalp, do oiling at least once a week. Anti-dandruff shampoos which contain the anti-fungal Ketoconazole should be on a regular basis if you have tendency to have dandruff. For further details contact- 02267337500
10. Stay hydrated and have a balanced diet: Drink at least 2 litres of water every day along with an array of fruits and greens. These will provide you with essential vitamins and minerals to tide you through these wintery months.
Book Appointment: Dr. Mohan Thomas Senior Cosmetic Surgeon, Cosmetic Surgery Institute
Colorectal cancer on an upswing in South India
A 38 year old and 68 year old lady underwent ...
Aware Gleneagles Global Hospitals performs rare ...
The key essentials in a diabetic diet
what Food to eat to avoid cosmetic surgery
Symptoms of various Gynaecological Cancers
World Stroke Day 29th Oct 2018
Hyderabad Doctors successfully perform Asia's ...
SuVitas Launches Bangalore’s First Dedicated ...
Itermittent Fasting: The How s and Why's
Eyes show you the world
Healthcare receives major limelight in General ...