Flower

Columbia Asia Doctors save Boy who swallowed Live Fish

by The Welthi Bureau | 10 JULY 2018

columbia asia doctors save a boy who swallowed a live fish
 Image used for representational purpose only

Bangalore, 10th July 2018: A 1-year-old boy was brought to the Emergency Department of Columbia Asia Hospital, with an alleged case of accidental ingestion of live fish from an aquarium at home. The boy experienced coughing associated with excessive drooling of blood tinged saliva, and difficulty in breathing.

 

The incident was witnessed by family at home. On examination by Dr. Senthil Kumar, the child was distressed, breathing abnormally rapidly and wheezing. When his throat was examined, there was excess pooling of saliva with a little blood.  

 

A soft-tissue X-ray of the neck was taken, suggesting soft tissue shadow in the cricopharyngeal area with anterior displacement, and narrowing of the windpipe anteriorly. A direct laryngoscopy revealed blood tinge oral secretions along the vocal cord edema, but no evidence of the presence of a foreign body was found. The child was intubated and mechanically ventilated due to respiratory distress.

 

He was shifted to PICU, and when an upper GI endoscopy was done, a whole fish was seen at the fundus of stomach. It was cut into multiple pieces and removed. The child’s condition was managed with ventilator support and supportive medications. He was intubated on his second day at the ICU and he was discharged in a stable condition.


 Disclaimer: Welthi.com does not guarantee any specific results as a result of the procedures mentioned here, and the results may vary from person to person. Read more
KIMS Cuddles Announces ‘Cuddles Mrs. Mom Contest’ for Pregnant Women

KIMS Cuddles Announces ‘Cuddles Mrs. Mom ...

There is no better feeling than the movement of li...
PINK RIBBON CAMPAIGN 2018 CELEBRATING ELEVEN POSITIVELY EVENTFUL YEARS

PINK RIBBON CAMPAIGN 2018 CELEBRATING ELEVEN ...

SPORTING TOURNAMENT IN SUPPORT OF BREAST CANCER AW...
L V Prasad Eye Institute’s Rural Eye Care Program celebrates 20 years of work

L V Prasad Eye Institute’s Rural Eye Care ...

Coincides with the 2018 International Agency for t...
Manipal Hospitals Signs Cricket Legend Rahul Dravid As The Brand Ambassador

Manipal Hospitals Signs Cricket Legend Rahul ...

Manipal Hospitals, one of India’s leading health...
Bangladeshi senior citizen survives life threatening abdominal aortic aneurysm at Fortis Malar

Bangladeshi senior citizen survives life ...

Swollen abdominal aorta with multiple angulation's...
Aware Gleneagles Global Hospitals launches ‘I AM EMERGENCY READY’ campaign in Hyderabad

Aware Gleneagles Global Hospitals launches ‘I ...

Aware Gleneagles Global Hospitals Hyderabad launc...
Hyderabad Doctors successfully perform Asia's First Transcatheter Tricuspid Valve Replacement procedure

Hyderabad Doctors successfully perform Asia's ...

Only 40 such surgeries reported around the world...
SuVitas Launches Bangalore’s First Dedicated Transition Care Facility

SuVitas Launches Bangalore’s First Dedicated ...

Catering to a need for post critical care that has...
Itermittent Fasting: The How s and Why's

Itermittent Fasting: The How s and Why's

Intermittent Fasting is the latest global fitness ...
Our responsibility to our emotions

Our responsibility to our emotions

In this world, there are all kinds of people. Some...
Stop drowsing while driving

Stop drowsing while driving

A long spell of work or drive can lead to physical...
Eyes show you the world

Eyes show you the world

With increasing rate of air pollution, the ways it...